“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost."
I had never been to the Virginia side of Great Falls so I’m not sure I had any expectations going into this hike. I found the trail to be fairly easy to navigate and was able to keep a reasonable pace (though we did stop for several photo ops and to allow our four-legged companion Buddy some time to water the plants and check out the scents on the trail). The trail was well marked so there’s no worry of getting lost in the woods (this may not be news to more seasoned hikers, but as I said I had no idea what to expect not having hiked much in the past). A lot of the path is well shaded, but I still managed to get a fair amount of color on exposed areas of skin so sunscreen is recommended (a note I will keep in mind in the future). The terrain wasn’t particularly difficult. I wore a pair of my Chuck Taylor All Stars. They’re not what I’d recommend for footwear in terms of tread, but they didn’t really slow me down. I think you’d be able to get by with just about any pair of athletic shoes, but I’d recommend something that gives you good traction. Make sure you stop and check out the scenic outlooks over the actual falls because the view is breathtaking (great photo ops!). My friend in Oklahoma is now convinced he must see the Potomac River before he dies after just seeing my pictures from the trip (living by it you sometimes forget its true beauty). Note to self: Should try one of those Potomac River cruises sometime! I really enjoyed this hike and would love to try some of the other trails on the Virginia side of Great Falls in the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment