Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Great Food, Great Fun, Great Falls!

July 24th, 2011

“Rivers and rocks and trees have always been talking to us, but we've forgotten how to listen.” ~Michael Roads

Hike: Great Falls, VA (Difficult Run Trail/River Trail/Matildaville Trail)

Length: Approx 7 miles

Time: Approx 3.5 hours

This hike was set up by the Mid-Atlantic Hiking Group to celebrate their fourth anniversary. The week leading up to the hike, temperatures were at a record breaking high. They spiked into the hundreds and with the heat index felt even hotter. Thankfully, Sunday seemed to offer a little relief from the heat. It was still hot and humid, but not as bad as previous days. The sky was fairly overcast, which seemed to help. We started off from the Difficult Run parking lot and hiked along Difficult Run Trail until we picked up River Trail to the Great Falls Park visitor center. From the visitor center we hiked back to the Difficult Run Parking lot. Most people elected to drive their cars back over to the Visitor Center parking lot for the cookout following the hike, but one of the hike leaders and I decided to hike back instead.

Despite the name Difficult Run, the trail was not strenuous at all. There were a few minor hills, but nothing too exhausting. Most of the trail is dirt, but there are a few areas that are a bit rockier. The majority of the hike was through shady areas of forest, but River Trail has a few places where you can view the river, which puts you in the sun a bit more. I had sunscreen with me, but naively assumed I’d be okay without it given the fact the day was fairly overcast and the trail was mostly shady. I narrowly avoided a sun burn (lesson learned for next time, always wear sunscreen!).

One thing that was different about this hike compared to the last time I hiked River Trail back in June, was the number of animals/insects that were out and about. We encountered a pair of beautiful butterflies shortly after starting off on Difficult Trail. There was a wake (group) of turkey vultures on a bank across the river and also a pair of birds (unsure of their identity) perched on a rock in the river. We encountered several deer and a few toads (of varying sizes). Another group of hikers encountered a snake and a lizard. I’m always fascinated by creature spottings. It’s part of what has drawn me to hiking. Hopefully as I continue hiking I’ll get better at identifying the creatures I meet along the trails.

Another successful hike with The Mid-Atlantic Hiking Group! The cookout was a lot of fun too and gave me time to talk to new friends and friends I have made on previous hikes with the group. I’m looking forward to continue adding mileage to my hiking shoes/sandals/boots! Keep reading to see what other adventures I’ll encounter as I venture out onto trails both new and old. Upcoming hikes include: Ellanor C. Lawrence Park and Cape Henlopen State Park (my first Delaware hike)! Maybe I’ll see you on the trails!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun! Too bad I missed it, but I did get in 5 km/3 mi today all uphill. We're going for a real hike on Wednesday though assuming tomorrow's late night doesn't kill me!

    LOVE the title of this post :)

    ReplyDelete