“I'm really an outdoorsy girl. People think I can't go anywhere without getting all primped up, but I love to go camping, and I'm totally fine with not doing my hair or makeup, not taking a shower and just hiking.” ~Vanessa Hudgens
Hike: Appalachian Trail- Crampton’s Gap to Harpers Ferry
Distance: 10.36 miles
Time: Approx. 6 hours
I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous about attempting a 10-mile hike with a group. I worried I might slow people down being new to hiking, but The Mid-Atlantic Hiking Group makes everyone feel truly welcomed and accepted regardless of their speed and previous hiking experiences. The fact that they offer different paced groups for each hike is really beneficial to both experienced and inexperienced hikers and if you’re not sure about your ability contact a hike leader and they will help you make a decision. I found this very helpful as the hike leader I spoke with also offered me advice about what to wear and what to bring. For this hike, I tried to do as much as I could to get organized the night before since I knew I’d be getting an early start on Sunday morning. I chilled some Gatorade and water in the fridge to fill my Camelbak, pre-made lunch and snacks to pack, laid out my clothes/shoes, set out my sunscreen and bug spray in a place I’d be sure to see them and put them on, charged camera batteries, and other little things that would ensure I was prepared. Packing for a hike is not unlike packing for a vacation, you always feel like you’re forgetting something! Thankfully, I was well prepared on the trails and didn’t want for anything.
This hike is considered moderate by the group’s standards more for length than anything else. The beginning of the trail is a very gradual incline which evens out in some places for more level hiking. Then you begin to head downward toward lower elevations and eventually get on switchbacks to head down toward the C&O Canal Tow Path, which takes you into Harpers Ferry. The trail is primarily dirt, but can be quite rocky in places (no rock scrambling required, just rocks you have to step on or over as you hike). Make sure you wear shoes that protect the souls of your feet. I recently bought a pair of Vasque Mantra GTX’s and had wanted to wear them, but have not had a chance to break them in yet so I settled for my Nike Alvord 8’s, which are trail runners and these did the job fairly well, but my feet did hurt somewhat by the time I reached the end (though this could simply be because I am not used to such lengthy treks vs. my choice of shoes). The trail is mostly shaded, but there are a few spots such as Weverton Cliffs and parts of the C&O Canal Tow Path where you are exposed to sun. I applied sunscreen prior to starting the hike and also while on the Tow Path and still got a fair amount of color on exposed areas of skin. Bug spray is also highly recommended.
I think one of my favorite parts of this hike was stopping by the shelter for hikers passing through this part of the Appalachian Trail. We never did much camping or hiking when I was a kid and the limited camping I’ve done as an adult has been on a friend’s grandparents’ property in the middle of 500 acres of corn fields so we were not quite “roughing it” the same way you are out on the trails. Instead of peeing in the woods, we peed in a corn field, which at night can be equally freaky because it all looks the same once you’re a certain distance into the corn stalks, but that’s neither here nor there. This was the first time I’d ever seen a trail shelter or a privy. I would love to spend the night at a shelter sometime in the future when doing a longer hike that spans several days. I’d also be curious to see who else you’d encounter out on the trails. There were two men passing through while we were completing a longer hike along the Appalachian Trail and it was interesting listening to their experiences.
Things I Learned This Hike:
∙ I am capable of doing a 10 mile hike! Yay!
∙ It is always helpful to bring along extra fluids both for yourself and in case hiking companions run low or start to feel sick. I had two bottles of Gatorade with me in addition to a 3L Camelbak and I shared one Gatorade with several others in the group who were starting to feel the effects of the lengthy hike and the heat.
∙ Wearing non-cotton clothes really does make a huge difference in how comfortable you will be while hiking.
∙ If you’re not sure you’re capable of doing a certain hike, talk to others who have done it or are more familiar with the area where you’re hiking. They can help you make the decision and you will be better prepared for having asked.
∙ Hiking companions can be a good source of information on what kind of gear is most beneficial. Pay attention to what others have/use and ask questions. You can learn a lot of helpful pointers to apply to future hikes.
Completing this hike really gave me a sense of accomplishment. I sometimes avoid taking risks or pushing myself and reaching the ending point of this hike reminded me that I am capable of more than I give myself credit for and it can be fun to push myself occasionally. I am planning on signing up for future Appalachian Trail hikes with the group and perhaps doing some on my own with friends. I hope to do a multi-day hike along the Appalachian Trail once I’ve developed stronger hiking legs. If you’re reading this, thanks for reading, please follow us and feel free to post comments!
Upcoming hikes will include: Monuments in the Moonlight (DC) and Piney Run Reservoir (Sykesville, MD) Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment