Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away!


Trail: La Chouenne, part of the Mont de Lac des Cynges sector at Parc des Grands-Jardins in Charlevoix, Québec, Canada
Length: Approx. 4.4km or 2.75 miles (round trip)
Time: It took us 1 hour 15 minutes, the brochures say 2 hours

So I am up in mostly-sunny Québec where we get mid-afternoon showers almost daily.  This morning, my dad thought it'd be fun to go to Parc des Grands Jardins and get in a little hiking.  Most of the trails here are either 1-hour walks or 2-6 hour uphill hikes.  They are usually dirt with some roots and minimal rock-scrambling.  We went for the shortest moderate hike there was at the Secteur Mont de Lac des Cynges since we had encountered some heavy rains on our drive there and had no idea what weather we would encounter.  


We had been on the trail less than five minutes when the rain started.  I put on my raincoat and pulled out my pack cover.  About 1.5 kilometers in it started to pour.  I said to my dad, "I don't think this raincoat is a raincoat.  It doesn't seem to be waterproof!"  Sure enough, I was soaked through.  At that point, though, my feet were not soaked.  Once we were above the tree line, the rain was freezing!  


The top was beautiful, even in the rain.  One of the things I loved about looking out over the valley was seeing that not so far away there were fields and pastures that were sunlit and free from the thunder and lightening that we were in.  At the top we ate some wild boreal blueberries.  Yum!  There weren't many below the tree line and I can only assume that some creature had been munching on them as well!


I wish that I had pictures to offer, but I don't.  We will be going back there, so I hope to get some pictures of what we would have seen had when been able to see!


Be sure to check out the trip on Map My Hike!


Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment